Monday, March 2, 2009

The Fairy Godmother Lives in My Refrigerator

My mom came to stay with me when Jack was born. She basically played the part of nanny and cook and house cleaner. It was a great relief to me, and it was the grandest of times for Tessa. She had a 24/7 playmate. While here, my mom succeeded in unlocking an imaginary world that Tessa has yet to leave. Sure she comes up for air occasionally. But she never really leaves it behind for long. It's her life!

One of the more popular story lines that unfolds in her head involves the fairy godmother from the movie, Cinderella. Tessa loves the idea of glass slippers. She pretends to wear them, carry them, clean them, and talk to people (imaginary, of course) who wear them, too. She loves to go in my closet and put on a pair of heels and teeter around the bedroom acting "fancy". Inevitably during the long conversations about glass slippers, one will get broken somehow. This is a tragedy. She runs dramatically to me and says, "MOM! The glass slipper is broken!" I always say, "Oh No! What are we going to do?", and Tessa will remind me that the fairy godmother can fix it for us. Then she will walk promptly to the refrigerator and hold the "shoe" up to the door for about 3 seconds. Then she will say thanks and run to find me and tell me that the slipper has been fixed!

I heard a line in a movie the other day that went, "One day, I'm gonna wake up and I'll be 50." While this line was delivered cynically, I happen to see it in a different light. While time does fly, and I'm sure when I'm 50 I will wonder where the last 20 years went, they won't be empty. My days are so full right now. Full of first smiles and glass slippers, soft cheeks and watercolors. One day--maybe when I'm 50--I will look back at all of this and see God's hand shaping all of us into a beautiful picture of love. And I will be able to smile when I remember how the fairy godmother used to live in my refrigerator.

4 comments:

Christina said...

Beautiful comments! With all the puke and poo, being a mom is still the best job in the world!
We have Tessa's jacket from Saturday- is it ok to wait until Thursday and get it when you come down for lunch?

Jen said...

That's fine--I wondered where that went! At least it's warm this week. I'll call you later!

Cindy said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. i love how you write!! and by the way, when did the fairy godmother move from your entry way light fixture to the fridge?

:o)

Nicole said...

Jenn,
That is so sweet, and I love your reflections on how precious time is now. I love that you love your two little munchkins so much. Your entry made me tear up.