Friday, February 27, 2009

A Forehead is a Blank Canvas

This has been a pretty slow Friday. No MOPS today, and Anthony is working. Plus, it's below 40 degrees outside and barely snowing. So Tessa was only outside playing for about 10 nose-reddening minutes. She came in and peeled off her layers. She carefully stepped out of the pile of clothing around her on the floor and gave a long-suffering sigh as if to let me know she does the lion's share of work around here. I watched her walk into the living room with the shuffling steps of someone heading towards an unwelcome chore. Oh the drama! She was the epitome of boredom. Words from the lips of my own mother came unbidden to my mind : "You're bored? I have some things you can do if you can't come up with anything yourself." We (Trisha and I) always knew those "things" involved dishes or a vacuum cleaner.


I was washing dishes and cleaning up the kitchen when I heard a scream. I glanced around the corner and saw Cinderella running with Prince Phillip (pronounced "Prince Pillip" by Tessa) from the scary dragon. I went back to the dishes only to return to the corner again a short time later to see if I could spy the cause of paroxysms of laughter. Apparently, Pillip had said something very funny to Cinderella. This imaginary play put me in a more relaxed state so I didn't notice the silence right away. But silence is never a good thing when it involves Tessa. Back to the corner again, and this time...
And Jack never even woke up. Thank goodness for washable markers!

No comments: