Thursday, November 27, 2008

Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving...

And all through the house, not a creature was stirring except...

I was partially awake last night when I heard a loud noise in the house. I had just flopped over in the bed to lie on my other side and gotten my "nest" of pillows readjusted in all the right places when I heard it. So I did what every red-blooded American girl would do. I shook Anthony until he woke up and told him he needed to go check the house because I had heard a noise. As he stood up, we heard, "Daddy?" spoken softly outside the door. The loud noise I had heard was Tessa shutting her bedroom door as she left it. You see, when we first moved Tessa to a big-girl bed, we put safety child door knob covers in the inside of her room. She was too young to wander the house at night--but she was very capable of doing just that. Since then, Tessa has developed a very healthy fear of the dark. Apparently, the dark is where dragons are. She usually won't go into a dark room and certainly not a dark house alone. So we removed the doorknob lock. The last month, she has slowly come to discover this new freedom. And that leads us to last night.

We have officially begun that stage of parenting where your child comes into your room at night and asks you for a cup of water, or says they are scared, or tells you they are about to throw up. It's like being promoted in the field of parenting. (haha)

For Thanksgiving today, we cooked our little family a nice small feast. Before we ate, we made special hats together to wear. Anthony was a pilgrim, I was an Indian, and Tessa was a turkey. I know she spent over an HOUR playing with the glue, scissors, and construction paper. You give that child an art project and she goes to town!

My favorite dish was the deviled eggs. Tessa loved the rolls. Anthony said it was all great, but he ate seconds of the green bean casserole.

Now we are plunked on the couch digesting our meal while Tessa naps hers off upstairs. We are truly a blessed family!!

Hope you are having a great Thanksgiving with your loved ones today!!

No comments: