Thursday, August 20, 2009

Conversations

As parents, we often get a front row seat to some of the best comedy in the world. Our kids. And especially our kids when they start talking. I am well aware of my own legacy of "things I said" when I was a kid. You know, the funny, embarrassing, clear truth that only kids speak. Like yesterday, for example. Tessa said (about a black woman she saw), "Hey look mommy! That princess is black and brown!". I hoped the "princess" part softened the statement somewhat.
Today, Tessa walked up to me with a scarf on her head and said, "Hi mom!". At this point, she looked up at the ceiling and batted her eyelashes and put on a coy smile. I said, "Wow! You sure look pretty, Tessa." Her eyes got wide with excitement and she said, "I just got married! Here's my prince." She was gesturing to the empty air beside her. But anyone could see that her prince was there. Here she is in her wedding scarf.


Her prayers are probably my favorite conversations. She squeezes her eyes shut and rambles on about all that had happened to her that day. Tonight, she told Jesus that she wasn't tired yet, but it was dark outside. She asked him to make Bella and Casey sit down, and then she mentioned something about the moon having to sleep outside. Her prayer pretty much ended when she started telling Jesus how many princess gummies she ate that day. She was concentrating on showing him "three" with her fingers. This has been a hard trick for Tessa to pull off, and she usually looses all train of thought in the process.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

kind of a bold statement with the wedding scarf, huh? ha!! thanks for the new post - love you - mom.