Sunday, January 4, 2009

And Baby Makes 4...



Well, here we are on a Sunday night watching TV while the kids (that's strange to say still) sleep. It has been a very good two and half weeks of family fourdom. Jack had his two week appointment with our new pediatrician (our old one moved away). Not only was Jack an A+ in every way, but the new Dr. is a hottie!

Our lives are obviously very effected by Jack's arrival, but the change is not quite so dramatic as it was with Tessa. I feel GREAT!! Not being pregnant is a state of being I want to have for always and forever. I finally healed enough to feel more like my old self again--someone I haven't seen or heard from since, like, August '08. I have been hauling the kids all over town the last few days. I even had to nurse Jack while sitting on a toilet in the restroom of a restaurant we ate at on New Year's eve. Hey, you do what you gotta do!

A few nights ago, I discovered the wonders of the pacifier all over again. Jack hasn't been a paci kind of kid so far. But I finally "convinced" him to take one and he dropped blissfully into sleep. At 2:00 AM, this seemed like some kind of Red Sea moment that made me want to fall on my knees in thankfulness--which I would have done if I thought I would make it up again. That extra hour of sleep was like finding $50 in a pocket of some pants you haven't worn in a year. So when the next night rolled around and the pacifier was MISSING, I almost had a "moment". You probably know what I mean. It was 9:30 and I was tired and I just couldn't face the night without that little wonder. So we searched the house and the car for 20 minutes before we admitted to ourselves that it was gone. That's when my wonderful and beautiful husband got in the car and drove to the store and bought a package of paci's.

Getting to church has been an exercise in flexibility. And patience. And unconditional love. We just don't have things down yet. There is so much to do! And there is no real way to get out of the building quickly when people press in on all sides to admire the little cutie in the car seat. Plus, our car is TINY now that there are two car seats in the back. We need a bigger vehicle in a bad way. I am extremely against mini vans. For some reason I hate them. But I see the convenience--and I wish I had it! Maybe not in a mini van, but there are other options.

OK. Well, it's almost 9:30. I really need to go to bed. The nights are long. I look forward to sleep when it comes back around (what is it, like, 7 years?).

1 comment:

Christina said...

I LOVE pacifiers- I don't care what the psychologists say, if it helps the baby sleep, I am all for it!!!