Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Pregnant Pause...On Sleeping

I have had insomnia for two weeks now. I can't fall asleep until after 12 or 1 and then wake up before 5 and can't get back to sleep. Besides being pregnant, there are a few other causes. First, Anthony has had a cold which makes him cough a lot in the morning. Second the room is light by 5. And last, it is hardly ever below 75 degrees in our bedroom. So I have suggested we get an air conditioner for our room. I am feeling miserable from lack of sleep--like a zombie.

Anthony came home and suggested I go stay in a hotel room tonight alone. He was actually serious. Why didn't I do that???? What is wrong with me??? I told him a hotel would cost half the price of an air conditioner, so we should just get one of those. We went to Penny's and bought blackout curtains for our bedroom window. Then we put foil on the top little skinny window. It is so dark in there right now! I am hoping that will help me fall back asleep better when I get woke up at 5:00 in the morning. We are going to try the fan on for a little while. Anthony always says the fan dries him out and complains about it, but in the face of spending more money, he is relenting. I will probably be just perfect with a fan.

Tessa was a terror in Penny's. This is because Mommy was talking to the salesperson so she realized only Daddy was watching her. At one point I heard her squeal from a long ways off. I looked back to where the stroller was and her sandals were on the floor about four feet from each other and she was running as fast as she could barefoot through the store. Anthony was quietly chasing after her saying, "Tessa" in a nice sing song voice. She knew she had him beat. After I bought the curtains, I saw Anthony losing Tessa again. I waited around a minute or two while he chased her through the maze of curtains. Then I got fed up with it and said (in my best scary mom voice), "Tessa! Come here right now!" She stopped dead in her tracks and turned around and looked at me. I started to walk to her and when I got within 2 feet, she tried to run for it. Too late! I grabbed her by the arm and wrestled her into the stroller and strapped her in. She did not like being strapped in that thing. So we pushed a screaming toddler out of Penny's into the mall. That was about when she decided to accept her fate. She immediately got quiet and hummed a little song to herself. Pleasant and peaceful. As if Penny's never even happened.

Sometimes I wish I could move on from negative experiences as quickly and seamlessly as she does. I would love to have someone push me around in a stroller while I hummed contentedly to myself. Pleasant and peaceful. As if today never happened.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

i wish i could push you around in a stroller, pleasant and peaceful. i will try and find a grownup one for when you come here to visit :o)

seriously, i laughed so hard over your description of what happened in penny's. Ha! i know that sing-song voice of anthony's going 'Tessa, Tessa'

Amy said...

Um, staying in a hotel by myself is like my dream. Ha!!!