Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Hardest Thing About Being A Parent

There are so many things about being a parent that are difficult. Bordering on impossible. You learn some pretty sweet skills pretty fast. Like balancing. And I mean balancing everything: babies, diaper bags, food, phones, car seats, TIME. You also learn to look before you leap. Or at least, in our house with lots of stairs, you learn that. Anthony and I have both fallen down numerous stairs because of toys. Once, Anthony fell down the stairs while holding a baby Tessa, but that was because of his own feet. He still knows how to make my heart stop!

Still, in spite of all the lessons you learn, the hardest one to face is this: you can't be a perfect parent. It's even harder for me than the thought of letting them go when they grow up. I just wish I could be perfect for my kids. Because being imperfect means something less for them.

Like I wish I could just keep my house clean. This morning, Tessa let the dogs in. It's been rainy and they were covered in mud. And you know what?? I haven't even stopped to clean the floor (or the walls for that matter) all day. And since we're on this subject...I just watched Jack eat three stars off the floor. If it had been one--well, no one's that fast. Two is definitely arguable, yes, sometimes TWO is quicker than you realize. But THREE??? Are you kidding me? What kind of mother are you? Well, if you didn't know before, I guess you know now!!!

Some fun video clips for the grandmas and grandpas. The music this time is in honor of Jack the mover and shaker. You go little man!

Tessa entertaining Jack:








Jack crawling:







This is Tessa's idea of a funny face. Her humor is subtle.


And here she is trying to be like the Pantene commercial girl.

2 comments:

Mark Phillips said...

Jack crawling is particularly cute.

Melanie said...

I can't believe Jack is crawling!

I love Tessa's pantene pics, such a personality!